Maryland Blogger Alliance

Alliance FAQs

Latest MBA Posts


February 02, 2005

Pillage challenge

A while back, I mentioned that I was planning to make Pillage Idiot mugs. They're done (photos below).

I now have a case of 36 eleven-ounce mugs, some of which will be for me and for my family. Most of the rest can be yours. (Full disclosure and apology: The mugs were made in China, but the graphics work was done in Missouri.)

As I said, I'm not in this to make money. So rather than offer them for sale, I've come up with what I think is a better idea: I will give a bunch of them away free of charge. I ask for only one thing in return. In order to justify to myself the money I spent on them, I'm asking people who want one to contribute $25 to one of the charities listed below.

Here are the rules:

1. E-mail me at pillageidiot -at- hotmail -dot- com with the subject line "Pillage challenge" to let me know that you're interested. First come, first served. I will respond to you to say whether there are any left. Please do not post your request in the comments. I need to receive an e-mail from you.

2. After you hear back from me, go ahead and make a $25 donation to one of the charities I'm listing below. You are not required to tell me which one. You are not required to document your contribution. I will take your word for it. One important request: Please make it a new contribution. Don't say to yourself, "Well, I already gave $25 in December." That doesn't count. Make a new contribution. But I'll still take your word for it.

3. E-mail me again to tell me you've made the contribution, and give me your name and the address where I can ship the mug. (Important note: I haven't yet bought the packing materials, so it might be a week or more before I send them out. Please bear with me.)

UPDATE (2/5): I now have packing materials, so I'm ready to go!

Here are the charities:

Spirit of America
USO
Special Operations Warrior Foundation
Operation Gratitude
Fisher House
American Friends of Magen David Adom
Friends of the Israel Defense Forces

Directly below is a photo of the front and back of the mugs. On the back of the mug is the text from the beginning of my post "I, Attila" up through "You're welcome."